Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Eating My Way Through South Africa

Just having come back from the States two months ago and having a personal gourmet chef move in with me would make one think that the western food in South Africa would not be as exciting as it could of been a year ago when I was in the thrawls of village life eating dried anchovie type fish and the same veg every day. None the less it has been fun eating and shopping for food here.

 When on home leave I only had McDonalds for breakfast. Quarter pounder with cheese is not a bad way to go once every five years! Now I have had my fill of McDonalds for years, glad I got that out of the way.

 This is pizza is two feet in diameter. Biggest pizza box I have ever seen. Luckily there were 5 or 6 of us eatting.

Gregg is a Peace Corps  Volunteer in Sengal. He got the biggest slice, pretty sure it was bigger than his head.

After a day of greasy fast food I decided to cook myself lunch of eggplant, red bell pepper, sundried tomatoes, and capers sauted in garlic and red chili sauce. Served over two pieces of whole wheat, dense toast with goat cheese. So yummy. Camera died so there are no pictures of the finished product but believe you me it was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment